The US-UK Fulbright Commission participates in the Fulbright Inter-Country Travel Grant Programme which enables U.S Fulbright Scholars in Europe to create connections with other fellow scholars and institutions in their field in the United Kingdom.
US Fulbright Scholars in the UK can also benefit from Fulbright Inter-Country Travel Grant opportunities. Please ask the inviting institution in your prospective host country in Europe to find out if the Fulbright Commission in that country offers Inter-Country Travel Grants.
The Inter-Country Travel Grant Programme provides:
- US scholars on Fulbright grants in Europe with opportunities to enrich their professional and cultural experience outside of their country of assignment.
- UK institutions with an opportunity to invite Fulbright grantees from other countries in Europe to lecture in the UK.
The inter-country scholar visit must take place during the US Scholar's Fulbright grant period.
UK institutions need to apply four weeks before the planned visit. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Fulbright travel grant will cover the visiting lecturer's airfare from the host country using the most economical fare. The UK institution is expected to cover the Scholar's in-country expenses (i.e. accommodation and in-country transportation).
If selected, the grantee will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements.
How to apply
- The Fulbright Scholar identifies a higher education and/or research institution in the UK that they wish to visit. Alternatively, the UK host institution contacts the Fulbright Scholar on their Fulbright grant period in Europe. If the UK host doesn’t have a specific Fulbrighter in mind, they can identify a suitable scholar from the database of US Fulbright scholars in Europe for the current academic year. The Finnish Fulbright Foundation maintains an updated list of the Current US Fulbright Scholars in eligible countries.
- The Fulbright visiting scholar and UK host get in touch to discuss purpose of the visit, logistics and in-country expenses. We expect the UK host institution to take charge of planning and organising the visit.
- Fill out an Inter-Country Travel Grant Application. This should be submitted to the US-UK Fulbright Commission by email to Tom Chadwick, Programme Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 weeks before the planned visit.
- The US-UK Fulbright Commission reviews the applications on a rolling basis. If the Commission approves the request, we will contact the Fulbright Commission or the U.S. Embassy in the country in which the Fulbright Scholar is based to request their support for the visit and will then seek final approval from our funders at the ECA, US Department of State.
- Once final approval has been received, the US-UK Fulbright Commission will send out an official award letter to the visiting Fulbright Scholar and the UK host.
- After the visit, the Scholar’s travel costs will be reimbursed either directly to the host institution or to the visiting Scholar, and against submission of travel costs receipts. The Commission also requires submission of a short Scholar report and one or two photos of the lecture.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and until all grants available have been allocated.
For more information about the programme contact:
Tom Chadwick - Programme Manager at email@example.com