The Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award at American University enables a graduate student from the United Kingdom to pursue an on-campus master’s degree program in any discipline from American University’s College of Arts and Sciences, Kogod School of Business, School of Communication, School of Education, School of International Service, or School of Public Affairs. Certificate programs, online programs and the law school are excluded.
Grant amount and details
This Award covers up to two years of study:
- Full tuition: Tuition will be fully covered for the admitted student.
- Application fees: Application fees will be waived for the admitted student.
- Graduate assistantship and stipend: A graduate assistantship with a biweekly stipend will be provided. The graduate student will be required to work 20 hours per week for 15 weeks per semester and paid at the graduate student rate, currently $21/hour.
- Health insurance: American University will provide a scholarship to cover the full cost of the AU Student Health Insurance plan during the duration of the awardee’s studies provided the student maintains full-time enrolment (9 credit hours in fall and spring) and maintains satisfactory academic progress.
Note that other student fees may remain and vary in cost but will be the responsibility of the student.
1. Review the UK-specific application information:
- Review the eligibility criteria for the award for which you are applying (where applicable)
- Read the UK-specific American University award application instructions
- Read the UK-specific terms and conditions
- Review the Fulbright Commission Privacy Notice
2. Complete an online application - the link to apply can be found in the application instructions.
3. Complete the separate online US-UK Fulbright Commission Supplemental Form. You can access the form here. The link is also available in the Application Instructions.
This is a required part of the application for all applicants, and your application will be considered incomplete without it.
3a. If you are submitting an application with a 2:2 undergraduate result, you must additionally complete the 2:2 Undergraduate Result Form. The link is also available in the Application Instructions.
We may accept applications from individuals with a 2:2 overall result in some exceptional cases. We will evaluate these applications separately and on a case by case basis will determine if the application will be included in the competition.
Please note, this award is not available under the IIE placement model.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a panel interview which will take place in April 2024 on Zoom.
The Fulbright Commission cannot comment or provide feedback on individual applications.
American University Award Application Timeline
For academic year 2024-25
Early March 2024
Deadline for applications. Please note that we do not consider late applications. All applications have to be submitted online, and we do not accept applications via e-mail.
Mid March 2024
Initial screening and review of applications are done by review panels. You should not expect to hear from the Commission during this time, and staff will be unable to comment on the process or an individual application’s status.
If shortlisted, successful candidates must be available for interview. It is the responsibility of the applicant to be available for an interview on the date and at the time allocated and to cover associated costs. We have a tight schedule and are therefore unable to reschedule interviews.
Fulbright and J-1 visa paperwork.
Independent departures, your Fulbright exchange begins. In exceptional cases, earlier departures may be permitted if no alternative grant dates can be arranged.