UK students have access to many short-term study abroad opportunities in the USA. The US-UK Fulbright Commission provides summer programmes for secondary school and undergraduate students.

Studying abroad in the USA can have many benefits, such as:

  • Getting a taste for US higher education
  • Supporting your application for further, long-term US education

Fulbright programmes

University students

If you are a current undergraduate, your home university will likely have study abroad agreements with one or more US institutions. These study abroad programmes can last for an academic term or year and might allow you to:

  • Pay reduced UK tuition fees for your time abroad
  • Receive UK tuition and maintenance loans

External scholarships and grants for university exchanges to the USA are offered by:

  • BAAS
  • UK government (different processes for students from England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales)
  • Study USA programme - funded year abroad exchange years for university students at Northern Irish universities

Postgraduate study abroad programmes are rare. It is more common to find external funding for research projects that require your presence in another country. Common sources of funding for short-term postgraduate academic work in the US include:

Internships, summer work and secondary school exchanges

The US Department of State J-1 Visa Visitor Exchange programme website lists full details for the following exchange opportunities:

There are also a number of summer programmes for high school students. Details of these opportunities can sometimes be found on directories including: