Scholar Award Application Instructions
The Fulbright Scholar programme looks for applicants who can engage with the USA in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity and intellectual freedom, thereby promoting mutual understanding.
We assess more than the intellectual merit of proposals. The best applications are from well-rounded applicants who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic proposals and/or research projects
- Ambassadorial skills and intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the USA and to share aspects of British culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the UK upon returning
Choosing an Award
There are several Scholar Awards available each year. We recommend applying for an Award that best fits your experience and research/teaching interests.
Selection committees and interview panels will be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preference. We expect candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions that are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
1. Review the UK specific application information:
- Review the eligibility criteria
- Read the UK-specific application instructions
- Read the UK-specific terms and conditions
- Review the Fulbright Commission Privacy Notice
The online application is used by Fulbright programmes around the world, and Awards differ greatly from country to country. There are many fields and instructions which do not apply to UK applicants.
Therefore, you must read the UK specific application information listed above before you apply to ensure you submit a complete application in the correct way.
2. Complete an online application. The online application includes:
- Biographical information
- Academic, professional and extracurricular accomplishments
- Fulbright project plans
- Details of the US institution(s) to which you will be affiliated
- Three referee nominations
The online application requires you to upload the following documents:
- Scanned passport photo page
- Letter of invitation from your prospective US institution (this must be sought independently by you from the institution/department)
- Employer Promissory Statement (Welsh Public Sector Award applicants only)
- Creative writing or artwork sample (if applicable)
3. Complete the separate online US-UK Fulbright Commission Supplemental Form.
This is a required part of the application, and your application will be considered incomplete without it. Please follow the link above to access the form.
US Host Affiliation
You must make separate arrangements with your chosen US host institution(s), the timeline and for which will vary from the Fulbright application. You do not need to have a host firmly in place before submitting your Fulbright application, but you must have a confirmed host affiliation in order to receive your Fulbright grant, if successful.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a panel interview in January or February. Scholar Award interviews are in person and cannot be rescheduled.
All applicants will be informed of their status by March.
See below for recordings of Fulbright Scholar Award webinars.
Discover more about our Fulbright Partner Awards. Partner Awards are those linked to professional bodies, charitable organisations or US university partners. These awards can be in a specific discipline or based at a particular institution:
Find out about completing a Scholar Award application, and what we look for in applications: