Sign up for our e-newsletter for the latest Fulbright news, scholarships and expert advice.

My favourite memory has to be my first college soccer game, I was so privileged and excited to represent the university and surrounding community. ...

Meet Jordan Ladbrooke
at Northeastern State University

Meet Our Advisees »

Undergraduate Terminology Differences

An event at the University of California
The cultural adventure of spending four years of my life in a foreign country was also extremely exciting for me, and something I definitely do not regret. Dominic, University of Pennsylvania

One of the first things you will probably notice as you begin researching study in the US is the difference in the terminology used to describe certain aspects of academia.

For instance, the US term “high school” actually has the meaning of the British term “secondary school.” So when an application or US university website talks about your “high school,” they are really asking about your education in secondary school. Similarly, in the US, one does not “read” a subject, rather they “major” in a field of undergraduate academic study.

Throughout the US application process, it may be useful to familiarise yourself with the following list of American terms: