Sign up for our e-newsletter for the latest Fulbright news, scholarships and expert advice.

I wanted to study in the US due to the liberal arts curriculum and my broad range of interests. I have the freedom to study whatever interests me without regard for what I did at school....

Meet Michael Gribben
at Harvard University

Meet Our Advisees »

English Language Proficiency Tests

International students having funUS universities typically require non-native English speakers to take English language proficiency tests. However, an admissions office may waive this requirement if a student has completed several years of his/her schooling in an English-speaking country.

The two leading English language proficiency tests are TOEFL and IELTS. Before registering, please check with the US university to which you are applying to ensure scores from either test will be accepted and ask about the possibility of waiving requirement.

For more information on testing sites, dates and registration, please visit the TOEFL and IELTS websites or contact TOEFL or contact IELTS.