Sign up for our e-newsletter for the latest Fulbright news, scholarships and expert advice.

I fell in love with the landscape and culture of the Pacific Northwest. I wanted to study large carnivore ecology and there aren't many opportunities to do so in the UK....

Meet Louise Shirley
at Washington State University

Meet Our Advisees »

English Language Proficiency Exams

International students having funEnglish language proficiency exams may be required for non-native English speakers applying to postgraduate study in the US. However, this requirement may be waived by an admissions office if a student has completed most of his/her schooling/university in an English-speaking country.

The two leading English language proficiency exams are TOEFL and IELTS. Before registering, please check with the US university to which you are applying to ensure scores from either exam will be accepted.

For more information on testing sites, dates and registration, please visit the TOEFL and IELTS websites or contact TOEFL or contact IELTS.