This privacy notice tells you what to expect when the US-UK Fulbright Commission collects personal information.
As you browse our website and whenever you communicate with us, we collect information. It deepens our understanding of what works and what doesn’t.
We take protecting your privacy very seriously and will always take all reasonable steps within our power to make sure your information is safe.
When we collect information about you, what we collect and how we use it
We collect information every time you interact with us. The type and quantity of information we collect and how we use it depends on why you are providing it.
For example, we may collect information when you:
- Fill out a survey
- Join our mailing lists
- Apply for an award or programme
- Make an enquiry about our programmes or awards or about studying in the USA
- Register to attend one of our events
- Donate to us
- Volunteer with us
The information we may collect from the above interactions may include, but is not limited to:
- Your name, address, telephone number, mobile number and/or email address, along with your preferences as to how we should contact you in the future
- Financial and credit card information which you give to us, including your gift aid status
- Information you enter onto our website, application forms or surveys
- Records of your correspondence with us
- Records of your donation history
- Images, photographs or video if you take part in an event with us
- Details of your visit to the website, including technical information such as the IP address you use to access the website, your browser type and version
- Other details relevant to your communications with us
We will mainly use the data we collect to:
- Provide you with the services, products or information you asked for – for example, monthly newsletters about studying in the USA
- Administer your application and award or place on our programmes
- Administer your donation or support your fundraising, including processing gift aid
- Keep a record of your relationship with us
- Manage your communication preferences, including marketing preferences
- Understand how we can improve our services, products or information
- Keep you up to date with the Commission’s work and to ask for financial and non-financial support
- Support and further our mission (for example we may with your consent use images, photographs or video in marketing or promotional materials)
Visitors to our website
When someone visits Fulbright.org.uk we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site.
How long we keep your data for
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details and the appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us. We won’t keep any information that we don’t need.
Contacting us about the information we hold about you
Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act 1998. If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request to the the US-UK Fulbright Commission for any personal information we may hold you need to put the request in writing to the address provided below.
If you agree, we will try to deal with your request informally, for example by providing you with the specific information you need over the telephone.
If we do hold information about you, you can ask us to correct any mistakes by contacting us.
Sharing your information with other parties
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
We may allow our suppliers to access and use your personal data to allow them to perform services on our behalf (e.g. payment processing). In these circumstances, we will not give these organisations any rights to use your personal information except to provide services to us and in accordance with our instructions.
Links to other websites
This privacy notice does not cover the links within this site linking to other websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit.
Changes to this policy
The US-UK Fulbright Commission may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 15 May 2017.
How to contact us
You can write to us by completing our contact us page or by post to:
US-UK Fulbright Commission,
Unit 302, 3rd Floor Camelford House,
89 Albert Embankment,