Travel Insurance

After you have your visa and have booked your travel, consider whether to purchase travel insurance.

Depending on how much you travel, either to and from home or within the US, you may want to consider purchasing travel insurance, also called “holiday insurance”, to insure against losses or damages not covered by your medical insurance. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover lost luggage and documentation (such as a passport), cancelled/delayed flights, evacuation (i.e. during a natural disaster), repatriation of remains (in the event of untimely death), public liability (in case you are sued) or even damage caused to a third party. When searching for travel insurance, you can use sites such as to compare insurance plans. 

It is important to look at all of the specific terms of each agency you consider. For example, you may be covered if you cancel your flight due to an illness, a death of a family member or another extenuating circumstance. However, you will often have to prove that these circumstances were unforeseen. Similarly, you must prove that lost luggage is an actual accident and not the result of your own carelessness.

Single or Annual Plans: There are two kinds of travel insurance: single or annual. Single, as its name implies, is for a single trip. Annual covers a set number of holidays (each holiday at a set number of days) throughout an entire year.

When studying abroad, an annual plan would probably hold the most value, but look at the terms to which you are agreeing! If you do choose to purchase an annual plan, it is a good practice to set the start date as the date you purchased your plane ticket. If you start your insurance the day your plane leaves and your plane is then cancelled, your insurance may not cover the flight.

Be sure to conduct your own (thorough) research. You can also contact your international student advisor for more information and guidelines.