Academic Terminology Differences

Students having their class outside on the quadOne of the first things you will probably notice when you register for classes in the US is the difference in the terminology used to describe certain aspects of academia.

For instance, the US term “course” actually has the same meaning as the British term “module.” So when an American student asks about your “courses,” they are really asking what classes/modules you are taking. Similarly, in the US, one does not “read” a subject, rather they “major” in a field of undergraduate academic study.

Before departing for study in the US it may be useful to familiarise yourself with the following list of American terms.