Colgate is a distinctive, leading American university known for its intellectual rigor, world-class professors, campus of stunning beauty, and alumni famously loyal to their alma mater.
Through its curriculum, the engagement of the faculty, and life on the campus, Colgate challenges students to be enlightened thinkers and prepares them to be global citizens who will thrive in life and in work. Learning here, living here, and climbing the hill of our campus, you feel it: We are always ascending. Colgate is a university that is marked by a proud two-century history and shaped by its bold ambition.
At the core of Colgate University is one of the most ambitious and relevant learning experiences in the country. Regardless of major, all students are taught to think critically, communicate powerfully, analyze other perspectives, and solve complex problems. This foundational curriculum equips students to develop as leaders who can engage thoughtfully and flourish in the careers that they want.
It is our mission to develop thinkers who value intellectual rigor and who are capable of challenging themselves and others with vigor and reason. We choose sophisticated students who will grow in both confidence and humility, and who will seek a global perspective in shaping their own. Our students carry our values. One day they will carry the value of a Colgate degree, which opens doors with its reputation for academic excellence.
This is Colgate, a distinctive, vibrant, and welcoming place to learn, live, and develop into who you are. Now in our Bicentennial year, Colgate is ever driven to be the best — one of the world’s premier universities and the finest undergraduate institution in America.
- Region: Northeast
- Location: Hamilton, New York
- Campus setting: Rural
- Type of institution: Private; Liberal Arts College
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 27%
- Average ACT range: 31-34
- Average SAT range: 1370-1510
- Test optional?: Yes, for the Fall 2021 application cycle
- Common Application accepted?: Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Anthropology, Architecture, Art History, Arts, Biology, Computer Science, Creative Writing, Economics, Education, English, Environmental Sciences, Geography, Geology, History, Humanities, Languages, Law, Liberal Arts, Mathematics, Music, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Physics, Physiology, Psychology
- Full list of majors available: http://www.colgate.edu/admission-financial-aid/admission-publications
- International students are eligible for: Need-based aid
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $70,050
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division I
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Women's Softball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Men's Football / Soccer; Women's Football / Soccer; Women's Field Hockey; Men's Golf; Men's Ice Hockey; Women's Ice Hockey; Men's Lacrosse; Women's Lacrosse; Men's Rowing; Women's Rowing; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Women's Volleyball