Bowdoin is one of the nation’s oldest, most prestigious liberal arts colleges, and also a 200-year-old idea: give students of uncommon promise access to the best education on earth, and they will use it to make good in the world.
Bowdoin is fortunate to be in Maine, a state known for its beauty and independence, and our proximity to the ocean provides opportunity for serious research and simple days at the beach. Students can easily get to Portland, and a train or bus to Boston is within walking distance.
If you like the idea of working in a community that values access and equity, collaborating with highly accomplished faculty and classmates, and welcoming big, new, difficult questions, Bowdoin might be the place for you.
- Region: Northeast
- Location: Brunswick, Maine
- Campus setting: Suburban
- Type of institution: Liberal Arts College
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 10%
- Test optional? Yes
- Common Application accepted? Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Africana Studies; Anthropology; Arabic; Arctic Studies; Art History; Asian Studies; Biochemistry; Biology; Chemistry; Chinese; Cinema Studies; Classics; Coastal Studies; Computer Science; Dance; Digital and Computational Studies; Earth and Oceanographic Studies; Economics; Education; Engineering; English; Environmental Studies; Francophone Studies; Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies; German; Government and Legal Studies; Hispanic Studies; History; Italian Studies; Japanese; Latin American Studies; Mathematics; Music; Neuroscience; Performance Arts; Philosophy; Physics; Psychology; Religion; Romance Languages and Literatures; Russian; Sociology; Theater; Visual Arts
- Full list of majors available: http://www.bowdoin.edu/academics/departments-programs/
- International students are eligible for: Need-based aid
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $70,710
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division III
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Men's Athletics / Track and Field; Women's Athletics / Track and Field; Men's Baseball; Women's Softball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Women's Field Hockey; Men's Football / Soccer; Women's Football / Soccer; Men's Golf; Women's Golf; Men's Ice Hockey; Women's Ice Hockey; Men's Lacrosse; Women's Lacrosse; Men's Nordic Skiing; Women’s Rugby; Sailing (co-ed); Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Nordic Skiing; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Women's Volleyball; Men’s Squash; Women’s Squash