Degree and university types
The 4,500 undergraduate institutions in the USA aren’t all the same type of university. There are several categories of institutions, each offering different expectations, experiences and degree types.
Things to know
- Associate’s degrees take two years to complete and often have a vocational focus
- Bachelor’s degrees are four years in length
- Specialist degrees, like engineering or the performing arts, will have different requirements and application procedures
- Law and medicine are postgraduate degrees - you will need at least a bachelor's degree to apply
- You should always make sure the university is accredited
Explore the links in this section to learn more about university accreditation and the different types of institution.