The Study of the US Institutes (SUSIs) for Student Leaders are five-week academic summer programmes for undergraduate students, to improve their understanding of the USA and develop leadership skills.
The SUSIs include a four-week academic residency at a US university, consisting of:
- Interactive classroom activities
- Site visits
- Leadership development activities
- Community service
Participants will also spend one week on an educational study tour to a different region of the USA, and have opportunities to interact with their American peers while on campus.
The Institutes are fully funded, with all participant costs covered, including:
- Return airfare and US travel allowances
- Housing and meals in shared university accommodation
- Small daily allowance
- Health and accident insurance (pre-existing conditions not covered)
If successful, you will be joined by over 20 other participants from universities across Europe.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25
- Be a UK citizen
- Attend a recognised UK university
- Have at least one year of study remaining after the Institute finishes
- Have little or no prior travel to the USA
- Not hold US citizenship or permanent residency
- Be eligible to receive a US J-1 Visa
For non-UK citizens enrolled at a UK university, please contact the US Embassy or Fulbright Commission in your home country.
Participants in the SUSI programme will enter the USA on a J-1 visa. The terms of this visa do not allow you to remain in the USA at the end of the programme for personal travel. You must leave the USA upon completion of the Institute.