Academic excellence is important, but we are looking for more than that. The best applications are from well-rounded students who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic proposals and/or research projects
- Ambassadorial skills
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the USA and to share aspects of British culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the UK upon returning
There are several Postgraduate Awards available each year. The All Disciplines Award is by far the most competitive, so it's important to apply for an Award that best fits your experience and interests.
Selection committees and interview panels will be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preference. We expect candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions that are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
If you're interested in applying for a Fulbright Award, or you're an advisor/administrator who wants to promote the programme at your university, sign up here to receive news, tips and advice.
1. Review the UK specific application information (the bullets below will link to the documents in summer 2019):
- Review the eligibility criteria
- Read the UK-specific application instructions
- Read the UK-specific terms and conditions
- Review the Fulbright Commission Privacy Notice
The online application, Embark, is used by Fulbright programmes around the world, and Awards differ greatly from country to country. There are many fields and instructions which do not apply to UK applicants.
Therefore, you must read the UK specific application information listed above before you apply to ensure you submit a complete application in the correct way.
2. Complete an online application (the application for the 2020-21 awards will go live in summer 2019)
The online application includes:
- Biographical information
- Academic, professional and extracurricular accomplishments
- Study/Research Objective
- Personal statement
- Details of the US institution(s) to which you will apply
- Three referee nominations
The online application requires you to upload the following required documents:
- Scanned passport photo page
- Official final and/or interim transcripts
- US university admission letter (if applicable)
- Creative writing or artwork sample (if applicable)
3. Complete the separate online US-UK Fulbright Commission Supplemental Form
This is a required part of the application for all applicants, and your application will be considered incomplete without it. Please follow the link above to access the form.
3a. If you are submitting an application with a 2:2 undergraduate result, you must additionally complete the the 2:2 Undergraduate Result Form.
We may accept applications from individuals with a 2:2 overall result in some exceptional cases. We will evaluate these applications separately and on a case by case basis will determine if the application will be included in the competition.
4. You must make a separate application to your chosen US institution(s), the timeline and deadlines for which will vary from the Fulbright application.
University and graduate programme application guidance is available from our EducationUSA advising centre. You do not need to have applied to a US university before submitting your Fulbright application, but must receive an offer of admissions from the institution(s) nominated in your proposal to receive your Fulbright grant if successful.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a panel interview in January or February. Postgraduate Student Award interviews are in person, and cannot be rescheduled.
All applicants will be informed of their status by March. The Fulbright Commission cannot comment or provide feedback on individual applications.