The Fulbright Scholar programme looks for applicants who can engage with the USA in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity and intellectual freedom, thereby promoting mutual understanding.
We assess more than the intellectual merit of proposals. The best applications are from well-rounded applicants who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic proposals and/or research projects
- Ambassadorial skills and intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the UK and to share aspects of American culture
- Extracurricular activities and community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the UK upon returning
Choosing an Award
There are several Scholar Awards available each year. We recommend applying for an Award that best fits your experience and research/teaching interests.
Selection committees and interview panels will be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preference. We expect candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions that are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
- Read the UK-specific instructions
- When applications are open, we will link to the Embark online application via the banner at the bottom of this page, which includes:
- Biographical information
- Academic, professional and extracurricular accomplishments
- Fulbright project plans
- Details of the US institution to which you will apply
- Three referee nominations
- Upload the following documents to Embark:
- Scanned passport photo page
- Letter of invitation from your prospective institution
- Upload the US-UK Fulbright Commission Form to your application, including the equal opportunities section
You must make separate arrangements with your chosen US institution in advance of your Fulbright application.
Embark, the online application, is used by Fulbright programmes around the world, and Awards differ greatly from country to country. You must read the UK-specific information and terms and conditions before you apply.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a panel interview in January or February. Scholar Award interviews are in person, and cannot be rescheduled.
All applicants will be informed of their status by March.