As part of the Fulbright Visiting Scholar programme, our Scholar Awards provide the only scholarships available to academics and other professionals for lecturing and/or research in any discipline at any accredited US university.
The All Disciplines Award can be applied to lecturing and/or researching at any accredited US university.
We also offer dozens of Awards partnered with US universities and professional or charitable bodies, as well as Awards in specific disciplines.
Scholar Award grant periods last from 3 to 12 months. Depending on the Award, our grants can generally offer:
- Generous monthly stipends
- Sickness and accident coverage
- J-1 visa sponsorship and pre-departure support & orientation
- Cultural enrichment programmes and events
- Support in the USA from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Access to a global alumni network of collaborative engagement and cultural diplomacy, with over 300,000 academically and professionally accomplished members
Stipends vary from year to year. See individual Award pages for details.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a UK citizen
- Hold or expect to attain a PhD or equivalent professional training/experience in a relevant field before departure to the USA
Dual US-UK citizens and Green Card holders are ineligible to apply.
The US-UK Fulbright programme aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Preference may be given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the USA.
Applicants with extensive US experience should explain in detail how further experience in the USA will fulfil the Fulbright mission in ways that their prior visits did not.