UK Summer Institute application instructions
We are looking for applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, who have had little opportunity to immerse themselves in a different culture.
The best applications are from well-rounded students who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic ability
- Ambassadorial skills
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the UK and to share aspects of American culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the US upon returning
Choosing an Institute
There are several UK Summer Institutes available every year. Each Institute is hosted by a different university, and each focus on a specific historical or cultural context, or a subject or topic. You do not need to be familiar with these to apply and are encouraged to explore your interests.
Applications for 2019 Institutes will be open from November through 6 February at 5pm EST.
- Read the FAQs and terms and conditions
- Apply online and upload a transcript to the application form as a PDF (official transcripts are preferred)
- Select two (2) references and place their e-mail addresses into the application. They should receive a notification message that will lead them to their own online portal to submit a reference letter.
The application form must be completed, with transcript attached, and submitted before the deadline. Your references should also submit your letters before the deadline or your application will be incomplete. An application will not be considered completed if any of these items are missing or submitted late.
Finalists will be invited to interview in late March. Summer Institute interviews are by video conference call and can only be rescheduled under extreme circumstances.
Please see the ‘Timeline’ for varying stages of application status notification. The Fulbright Commission cannot comment or provide feedback on individual applications.