The University of South Florida
The University of South Florida (USF) is a high-impact, global research university located in beautiful Tampa Bay on Florida's spectacular west coast. In addition to being a wonderful place to live, USF is among the top 50 universities, public or private, for U.S. federal research expenditures and is ranked in the top fifteen universities for research patents in the world. The university is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities, a distinction attained by only 2.3 percent of all U.S. universities.
At the heart of USF is a vibrant, diverse and engaged student body. Serving nearly 48,000 students, the USF System has an annual budget of $1.5 billion and an annual economic impact of $4.4 billion With 180 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, specialty and doctoral levels, including the doctor of medicine, there's something for everyone at USF. The university offers a dynamic learning environment that inspires innovation, creativity and collaboration in a remarkable research environment. More than 2,000 distinguished scholars, researchers and expert teachers, nearly all holding PhDs or the highest degrees in their fields, make up the USF faculty – including the 2012 Professor of the Year in the United States.
- USF is one of only 40 public research universities in the United States designated as both very high research activity and as community engaged by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- USF is ranked 34rd in the United States in total research expenditures and 27th in federal research expenditures for public universities by the National Science Foundation (2012).
- USF ranks 15th world-wide for granted U.S. patents among all universities according to the Intellectual Property Owners Association (2013).
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked USF as the fifth fastest growing research university in the U.S. from 2000-2010.
- USF ranks 40th on Forbes’ Top 100 Best Buy Colleges. (2012)
- In the 2014 edition of the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges, USF is ranked 14th as an ‘up and coming’ university among the country’s national universities.
- USF School of Accountancy is ranked 1st in the nation in accounting information systems research, according to the Brigham Young University 2012 rankings.
- USF ranks among the top 250 world-class colleges and universities according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2012-2013).
- According to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) (2013), USF ranks among the top 300 of the best colleges and universities in the world.
Awards and Recognition
- USF is ranked 110th among all of the world’s universities in a ranking of faculty publications, according to High Impact Universities. (2010)
- In the 2012-13 academic year, USF faculty were awarded the U.S. Professor of the Year, 15 AAAS fellowships, 2 Sloan research fellowships, 3 NSF CAREER awards, 5 NAI fellowships, and 4 Core Fulbright’s.
- USF was one of only five institutions to receive NAFSA’s 2013 Senator Paul Simon Award for Comprehensive Internationalization.
- USF has been named one of the top 50 Colleges Advancing Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) (The College Database, 2013).
- With a student body representing over 130 different countries, USF is one of the 40 most diverse public universities in the according to U.S. News & World Report’s recent Diversity Index ratings.
- USF vaulted up Sierra magazine’s annual "America’s Coolest Schools" list in 2012 to 12th among American universities and colleges for advances in sustainability in research and education.