University of Essex
We are Essex. We’re on the side of independent thinkers, the bold, the inquisitive, and those impatient for change.
Be taught and supported by world-leading academics, have the freedom to ask difficult questions and a genuine license to take intellectual risks as a postgraduate student at the University of Essex. For over fifty years, we’ve provided a supportive and empowering, research-intense environment. We’re placed in the top 20 in the UK for research excellence (REF 2014), coming fourth for social science, and housing the highest-rated politics department in the country since national assessments began.
Don’t wait for change, make it happen – now is your chance to join our lively and supportive, 3,000-strong postgraduate community. The brightest and the best travel from all over the globe to further their studies at Essex, immersing themselves in pioneering thinking, and breaking intellectual boundaries. If you’re keen to make an impact and change the world around you, welcome home.
Our staff provide one-to-one guidance on much more than just your academic studies, and our postgraduate courses equip you with the skills demanded by today's employers in a highly competitive world, ensuring that your employability is ahead of the game.
Graduate from Essex and join Nobel Prize-winners, award-winning directors, presidents, well-loved actors, astronauts, and over 75,000 other alumni who have gone on to shape the world and share the Essex spirit.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Visit our Coursefinder and start exploring now.
- WE’VE BEEN BREAKING THE RULES SINCE 1964. Ever since opening our doors fifty years ago, we’ve been pushing boundaries, asking difficult questions and challenging the status quo. We’re rebels with a cause.
- WE’RE WORLD-LEADERS. We are ranked in the top 20 for our world-leading research, securing our international reputation for excellence in research and teaching.
- WE ARE THE WORLD IN ONE PLACE. From the outset, we’ve embedded internationalism in our DNA, and with over 12,000 students from more than 130 different countries, we are one of the most international universities on the planet.
- WE’VE GOT THE ROYAL SEAL OF APPROVAL. We’re proud to have been awarded the only Regius Professorship in Political Science in the UK in 2013, marking the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012, and recognising our outstanding achievements over the last 50 years.
- WE’RE TOP FOR POLITICAL SCIENCE. STILL. Our ground-breaking political science research has consistently been ranked the best in the country, since national assessments began.
- WE’RE HOME TO HAPPY STUDENTS. We have been voted top 10 in the UK for student satisfaction for three years in a row, coming second in 2014.
- WE’RE PRIZE-WINNERS. We were awarded the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize: Human Rights (2010) and the Queen’s awards for enterprise: Sustainable Development (2008).
- WE OFFER MORE. Learn a language alongside your studies at no extra cost with our award-winning Languages for All scheme, debate some of the most controversial and pertinent questions facing society in our THINK! Series seminars, or gain valuable professional experience on our unique work placement scheme, Frontrunners; winner of the 2013 Times Higher Education Award for Outstanding Support for Students.
- WE’LL NEVER STOP GROWING. We continue to invest in innovation and excellence. Recent additions to the University include the zero-carbon Essex Business School building, complete with virtual trading floor and innovation booths, the £26 million Silberrad Student Centre and library extension, and the iconic Forum at Southend. Plans have also been submitted for a new state-of-the-art £13.7m teaching centre for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) students to be built at our Colchester Campus.
Life at Essex
No matter which of our three campuses you study at, you’ll enjoy a student experience like no other. Our unique combination of living and learning is what makes us special. University isn’t just about studying, and here, we like to work hard and play hard. Alongside your academic studies, you’ll have the chance to get involved in activities to improve your CV, your student experience, and the world around you. Ranging from over 150 active sports clubs and societies, arts and music events, to learning a new language, and volunteering projects, there’s truly something for everyone.
Our award-winning Students’ Union is extraordinary. Why? Because at Essex, you’re not just a member of a regular Students’ Union, you’re part of a family. Our SU believes every single Essex student has the power to change the world and make it a better place. They know that by working together amazing things can be achieved. Starting from just over £75 per week, our comprehensive range of award-winning accommodation is sure to make you feel at home – we’ve got something to suit every budget and every personality. And the best bit? Accommodation is guaranteed for your first year here.
The beauty of our compact and sociable campuses means that you’re never far away from fantastic facilities. Last year, we opened the doors to our £26 million, state-of-the-art Silberrad Student Centre and library extension. Inside, you’ll find three floors of facilities, including student services, finance, and IT helpdesks, a 24-hour reading room and postgraduate study area, the SU creative suite, and an integrated learning centre for creative and group networking.
The newest building at Southend, the Forum, is an integrated municipal and academic public library, home to over 140,000 books with access to 52,000 e-books and 33,000 e-journals online, as well as a stimulating research and learning environment for our Southend Campus.
And for when you’re relaxing outside of your studies, you’ll find shops, cafés, restaurants, bars, a gym, art gallery, theatre, post office and even a hairdresser on-site in Colchester. Study in Southend or Loughton, and you’ll be living and learning in the heart of vibrant and bustling towns. With everything you need so nearby, it’s impossible to get bored here.
However, if you do feel like venturing further afield, it’s nice to know that each of our campuses are in perfect locations – hop on a direct train from Colchester or Southend, or take the underground from Loughton, and you can be in central London in under an hour. Plus, with Stansted Airport nearby, and Southend Airport on your doorstep, international travel couldn’t be easier.
To discover more about life at Essex, visit www.essex.ac.uk/life.