Elon University is consistently cited as one of today’s greatest success stories in American higher education. With a spirit of innovation, a strong student-centered mission and a commitment to excellent teaching, Elon provides a national model for high-impact educational experiences. Elon develops graduates who have a deep sense of their roles as global citizens and an intense passion for making a difference.
- Elon is a selective, independent liberal arts and sciences university founded in 1889
- 5,782 undergraduates and 701 graduate students; students from 49 states and 47 other countries
- Faculty-scholars whose primary focus is teaching and mentoring, with a 12:1 student-faculty ratio and an average class size of 20
- One of the nation’s most beautiful residential campus environments
- Ranked by US News & World Report as the #1 Southern master's-level university; #1 master's-level university in study abroad by Institute of International Education
Learning is different at Elon
Elon pioneered an active, engaged approach to higher education 30 years ago, setting the standard of excellence for experiential learning. Guided by faculty mentors, Elon students explore, experiment, debate, write and collaborate with one another, putting their knowledge into practice on campus, in the community and around the world. The results are powerful. Elon leads the nation in the US News & World Report ranking of universities “Focused on Student Success” and student participation in high-impact learning experiences is far above most other top-ranked universities: internships – 86%; service – 82%; study abroad – 72%; leadership positions – 43%; undergraduate research – 22%. More Elon undergraduate students study abroad than any other master’s-level university in the nation; 72% of our graduates have at least one international experience.
On campus, Elon’s core liberal arts and sciences curriculum includes a strong global focus. Some measures of success: Elon is among the nation’s leaders in producing Fulbright Student Scholars, Peace Corps volunteers and Teach for America educators.
The highest markers of academic quality
Elon’s priority has been to meet the highest standards of quality, verified by the premier academic authorities in each field. As a result, Elon is one of only seven private universities in the nation to shelter a Phi Beta Kappa chapter, the standard of excellence in the liberal arts and sciences, and also achieve the highest accreditations for professional schools of business, communication, law, education, and health sciences:
• Martha and Spencer Love School of Business – AACSB International
• School of Communications – ACEJMC
• Elon University School of Law – ABA
• School of Education – NCATE
• School of Health Sciences – CAPTE, ARC-PA
Above all – community
Throughout its 125-year history, Elon’s core values have remained constant, with an emphasis on close, personal relationships among faculty, staff and students and a genuine attitude of inclusion and collegiality. Daily events, social gatherings and sidewalk conversations are the hallmarks of Elon’s friendly, caring and welcoming academic community. People at Elon care deeply about the university and they have a strong sense of loyalty and compassion for one another.